7.28.2011

Marine Corp Marathon

I have officially signed up for my longest running race of the season (and ever) - the Marine Corps Marathon (MCM) in Arlington, Va.

As part of Team RWB, this has been chosen as a team race in which as many people from TRWB entered as possible. I believe the latest number was close to 300 people. This will be the "A" race or priority race for most, and the final big push for fundraising efforts. I'm no different.

So, as part of this, I figured I would chronicle the weeks leading up to it, share my thoughts, my training, and my general attitude as I prepare. Oh, and yes, I'll still be asking for some fundraising help too.

For this race, I've chosen to download an actual "marathon training plan" from an institute called FIRST. The beautiful thing about FIRST is that it focuses on three quality runs per week; one speed, one tempo, and one long run. Currently, we (me and my training partner) are in week 3 of the plan and so far so good. Only 13 more weeks to go. And here's how it's gone so far.

Week 1
Tuesday - Speed - 5.04mi@45:56 
Thursday - Tempo - 6.0mi@57:24
Saturday - Long - 8.01mi@1:17
In addition to those runs, I also added a few extra for some triathlon specific training, and just general running.
Monday 4mi@36:05 & Tuesday night for 1.25@11:01.

Week 1's totals: 24.3mi@3:47:26.

Week 2
Tuesday - Speed - 5.08mi@44:09
Thursday - Tempo - 5.1mi@44:54
Saturday - Long - 9mi@1:33
Again, I had some additional runs thrown in this week.
Tuesday night for 2.04mi@18:08 & Saturday night for 3.15@28:19.

Week 2's totals: 24.37mi@3:48:30

So far, so good. I've had two of those runs where I felt miserable, but slogged through it, and the others have been pretty good. I'm defnitely not complaining.

For those interested or those that want to continue to help out with the fundraising, please feel free to visit my page. It's greatly appreciated!

No comments: