10.30.2007

Halloween & Such...

So we decided to go to Baker's Farm out in Harpersville,Al to gather some pumpkins for Halloween. It was the same place we went last year, but it was just as fun. There was the cotton pen, the corn maze, small animal zoo, the hayride, pumpkin picking, and the lemonade stand. Quite fun. Robert took some pictures and of course shared in the fun with everyone else.
Bethany finally found a horse to ride. The great thing was that you didn't have to clean up after this little guy. I think we may even be able to put one of these in our backyard without breaking the housing rules.There were lots of pumpkins. Last year we saw short flat pumpkins, white pumpkins, and even the large pumpkins. This year, well it was still the flat pumpkins, but also knobby little pumpkins. There were lots to choose from either way!
Bethany says, "I think I found one....but I need to keep looking."Actually, she found more than one. She found two. It seemed like she would find one, like it, hold on to it, fine another, make a pile, and keep going. Eventually we talked her down to just two. I'm sure she would have been happy with more.
Well, now that we have them, it's time to carve them. Bethany stopped by and picked up some templates for us to use...Pretty good idea. I carved a weird looking half jack-o-lantern, half face on mine. It was the largest pumpkin we had and sadly, the design was still almost too big.
I took another picture, but I tried to get fancy and it didn’t quite work. I was hoping to zoom in during the shot to get a scarier picture, and it didn’t turn out as I had hoped. Here’s to trying anyways.
The second pumpkin I carved (left) and Bethany’s little knobby guy (right).It’s kind of cool if you ask me. Under the light, the knobs really stood out in some of the pictures.Her knobby gremlin, all by himself. Also, it was time to make cookies. Bethany and her mom baked and iced cookies for the holiday. I think there was somewhere around 5-6 dozen cookies made. Since I was out of town until Sunday, they did most of the icing…but it still turned out pretty good without my helpWell, tomorrow is the big day. We’ve heard reports that folks in our neighborhood have spent nearly $200 on candy and still ran out. We’ll see how far our bag gets us. We’re planning on sitting outside, dressed up somehow, passing out candy. Hopefully it won’t be as hectic as they make it sound!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you guys! We have so much fun with you two and we are so thankful to be back here to enjoy these times with you. The pumpkin patch was a really fun day and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. As always, I love spending time around your kitchen table icing cookies, sharing jokes/stories, and laughing our butts off! I know there will be tons of memories made around that table as the years go on. Love you both ~ Mom C

Anonymous said...

P.S. ~ Those are some awesome pumpkin carvings ~ you two never cease to amaze me with your artistic abilities~