11.06.2007

And they're off!!

Bethany's dad and I decided we would run in the Vulcan 10k on Saturday in downtown Birmingham. It was definatly fun! If you're looking for a great place with wonderful scenery, I highly recommend it. The course starts at Boutwell Auditorium, runs along 2nd Ave., down by the Highland Golf Course, and back to the auditorium. Of course there's a good long uphill in the middle followed by a quite fast downhill. Excellent. For those of you unsure, the 10k is equivelent to 6.2 miles.

The necessary pre-race photo inside the auditorium. I told Bethany to take lots of pictures so she did. Of course we need the pre-race photos. I had a little case of jitters, but they went away rather quickly, right after the first mile.

And they're off. We were several minutes behind the leaders, but it's all good. We had timing chips on our shoes (provided by the race) that kept up with everything.
Bethany took some pretty good pictures of us coming into the finishing chute. Mr. C finished in just under an hour and I finished in a little over an hour. Not too bad. The winner finished in 29 mins though.

The typical post race photo. I was pretty excited about it. I definatly have plans to keep it up. The next race is either the Turkey Burner 5k (3.1mi) or the Jingle Bell Run 5k (3.1mi). The next big one though will be Feb 10, 2008, which will be the Mercedes Half Marathon (13.1mi). If you want to come out and cheer us on, feel free to do so. We'll make a day out of it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another great day to put in the memory bank. Robert we are so proud of you ~ your first professional race ~ it was quite an exciting day. To see the look of accomplishment and excitement on your face at the finish line was priceless! I know Bethany (your biggest fan) will never admit this, but I'm sure I glimpsed some teary eyes when you came over the finish line ~ she was so excited for you. Looking forward to cheering you all on at the next race! Hugs ~ Mom C