2.09.2010

race week

It's race week. It's what they call "taper madness". It's that time where you feel like you need to get out and go for a run, just to make sure you're ready, but by doing so, you'll destroy the last 12weeks of training.

This is the taper week. We have 2 runs this week. Both are 3mi or less. And with that, we'll go run 13.1 this coming Sunday. The Mercedes Marathon.

So far, I've had long runs that have built up to it, and I think I'm ready. Two weeks ago, the easy time trial run was 2:09. I felt great. It was easy. I wasn't pushing the pace or worried about the clock. I think I'm ready. But it's this taper week that makes you wonder if you really are ready. I mean, really? 13.1mi?

The good news is that I can let some injuries heal. I'm beat up and bruised. I need a little bit of a break. I'm just hoping the break heals the problems and then I can run hard on Sunday. The bumps and bruises are just part of it...

-I've managed to get what is similar to "turf toe". A minor pain under the ball of my big toe. It shows up everytime I lead off with that foot. So yea, running 13.1mi while trying not to lead with my toe, may be a small issue.
-I've somehow managed to get a bruise on the top of my left foot, right under the tongue of my shoe. Possibly from lacing the shoes wrong and then running large distances on it. Oh well.
-I have 2 black toenails. They don't hurt, but there there and annoying.

So, minor injuries, but injuries none the less. Here's to hoping a good week off will have the batteries recharged while we wait on the race.

I'm ready.... I think...

2 comments:

Out-Island Explorers said...

You can do it Robert :) a song that really helped push me at the end of my half-marathon was "Mercy Came Running" by Philips, Craig & Dean. It seemed to give me the extra boost I needed. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Tamara! It should be fun!