3.15.2010

xterra 10k and dirty spokes

The Xterra 10k trail run was held Sunday, put on by Dirty Spokes Productions, and it turned out to be a great race weekend.

This was the first time that I've been to a race where you pickup your packet and racer info the morning of the race. Usually it's a week long process, but for this race, it was the morning of. The pickup started 1.5hrs prior to race start, so that's when we arrived. Little did I know, we'd be the first ones there and then have to wait that much longer for race start.
After some stretching, some striding, and getting dressed, it was time to go.
After the first quarter mile or so on the asphalt, it was in the woods we went. On dirt paths littered with down limbs, puddles of water, small rocks, giant boulders, and even some dirt fire road in there a couple times. Basically a good 2-3 ft wide trail that we blazed through on.
After about an hour, and several stream crossing, monster hill climbs, mud gulley runs, and lightning fast descents, I could see the parking lot that we started from. At that point, it was time to go. I got on the solid ground and turned it up to the finish line.
I finished with a time of 1:06:02. That time was good for 10th out 15 in my age group and 87th out of 155 overall. Not too bad for a first time 10k trail run.
Amazing at how comfortable shorts and short sleeve shirt are when it's 40* out and you just ran 6.2mi!

No comments: