Wed - 7mi speed work - 1:08:08
Friday - 5.10mi easy - 46:40
Other workouts for the week:
Thurs - 3000yrd swim.
Other notes: I flew home to AL for the quick weekend. While home, I went to do a solo 15mi but the torrential rain from Tropical Storm Lee derailed that plan. And I didn't get it in.
Totals: 12.1miles - 1:54:48
Week 9 - week of 9/5
Tues - 8.5mi speed work - 1:20:07
Thurs - morning run: 4.3mi - 41:03, afternoon: 3.05mi - 26:34
Saturday - RACE HALF MARATHON - 1.0mi warmup: 9:14, race: 13.1mi - 2:09:01
Totals: 29.96mi - 4:45:58
Other notes: I've been working on strength training lately. For the last week I've been going to the gym and focusing on weight lifting, losing weight, and getting stronger. Hopefully it will pay off when the October marathon rolls around.
Now, about that race on Saturday...
It definitely wasn't my best race and it didn't help with the confidence going into the Marine Corps Marathon, but it was definitely something to learn from.
Pre Race:
Woke at 0530 for the 0745 race. Ate 1 CLIF granola bar at 0700. Sipped on G2 and water leading up to the race. Took a GU at 0735.
Warmup:
Easy 1mi run along Flat Branch. Threw in some strides and high knees to get ready.
Race:
Race:
I was holding a phenomanal pace at mile 3 and wasn't working too hard. I felt good and was wondering how long I could hold that pace. I knew it wouldn't be for the whole 13.1, but I was feeling good.
I hit a huge hill at mile 5 that slowed me down, but regained. I can definitely tell that I haven't gotten a good bit of hill training in like I needed.
I watered up at mile 6 and was starting to slow a bit. I walked through the water stop taking in water and trying to calm down.
Through mile 8 I was holding my actual planned marathon pace and felt pretty good. The only downfall was that we were running along the sidewalks and there wasn't much shade. Oh well.
I hit mile 9 water stop and THEY RAN OUT OF WATER. The crew was picking cups off the ground and reusing them. I got about 1" worth of water in a very large 8oz solo cup. Not what I was counting on.
The lack of water was a blow to my mental state and the lack of water was affecting my running and I knew it.
At mile 10 I was working to keep it sub 10.
At mile 11-12, I was done. I was in survival mode of run/walk and even then it wasn't pretty. I dipped into a smaller park off course just to get a drink from a fountain.
At mile 12 we popped out of the trail and I could hear the crowd. Then, just as we saw them, we turned right - away from the crowd and had to do a very large loop around the campus. That didn't help.
At 12.5 or so, we turned downhill and I just went with what I had.
I finished in 2:09:01.
Sadly, there was a minor triage area setup for people to get IVs after finishing. Lots of people were laying around with ice on them under the trees. Several with IVs under the medical tent.
I hit a huge hill at mile 5 that slowed me down, but regained. I can definitely tell that I haven't gotten a good bit of hill training in like I needed.
I watered up at mile 6 and was starting to slow a bit. I walked through the water stop taking in water and trying to calm down.
Through mile 8 I was holding my actual planned marathon pace and felt pretty good. The only downfall was that we were running along the sidewalks and there wasn't much shade. Oh well.
I hit mile 9 water stop and THEY RAN OUT OF WATER. The crew was picking cups off the ground and reusing them. I got about 1" worth of water in a very large 8oz solo cup. Not what I was counting on.
The lack of water was a blow to my mental state and the lack of water was affecting my running and I knew it.
At mile 10 I was working to keep it sub 10.
At mile 11-12, I was done. I was in survival mode of run/walk and even then it wasn't pretty. I dipped into a smaller park off course just to get a drink from a fountain.
At mile 12 we popped out of the trail and I could hear the crowd. Then, just as we saw them, we turned right - away from the crowd and had to do a very large loop around the campus. That didn't help.
At 12.5 or so, we turned downhill and I just went with what I had.
I finished in 2:09:01.
Sadly, there was a minor triage area setup for people to get IVs after finishing. Lots of people were laying around with ice on them under the trees. Several with IVs under the medical tent.
Now, to learn from the race, move on, keep getting the training in, and do what I've been training for to get to the finish.
Oh, and don't forget to check out the FUNDRAISING PAGE to enter into the contest coming up!
No comments:
Post a Comment