10.26.2008

Rough Weather & First Snow

Today had some very interesting weather. Several of the proposed plans were cancelled due to the weather too.

First, the state of Iowa was under a high wind warning. Sustained winds were 25-30mph with gusts reaching 50-60mph. Street crews came out and removed some traffic signs, some traffic signs were blown over, and at most doorways, corn husks were piled about 3ft high.

Speaking of corn husks, on the way to lunch, I found some husks stuck in the rims of my tires.
After the high winds, I looked out the window and noticed the winds wasn't the only thing. It was snowing. Yep. The first snow up here. Of course it wasn't sticking, but it was blowing sideways due to the high winds. The temps were in the low 40*'s and with the wind, the wind chill was right at 30*. Not cold enough to stick, but cold enough to snow.

Looking out the hotel window. It was just as grey, but there was plenty of snow coming down.
Right behind that red line is the interstate (I-35). The only problem is that you can't see it from the snow. Sadly, it's only about 250yrds away from the hotel.
Due to the high winds coming through, the power was actually interrupted at the hotel for roughly 4-4.5hrs. Several blocks from the interstate to the west, the power was out and the temperatures were dropping. The hotel was actually delivering extra blankets and flashlights to the rooms, preparing for the night.

Now, at 1700, it's snowing again. The bad part is that the temps are now 34* with the chill making it 20*. The winds are sustained at 31mph with gust at 44mph. Tonight's low is 29*. That's cold.

I'm just hoping it'll be a little warmer when I come home for my "vacation".

No comments: