10.07.2008

Soybean Farming

As I went out to meet an applicant and take some photos for our files, I found that the farmers were out gathering the soybeans, so I shot some pictures to share.

Remember the combines? Well this one is fitted with a soybean blade. The blade on the front rapidly spins, pulling the soybeans from the field. On the bottom is a series of teeth that seperate the pods from the plant itself. Then it gets shaken, jarred, and vibrated around to try to seperate the individual bean from the pod.
In this case, the hopper was full. The driver lifts the blades, and heads to the storage hopper at the end of the field. As the beans pile up out of the top of the combine hopper, the onboard computers tell him when he's full and when to unload. Notice the unloading arm coming out.
This particular farmer has two hoppers at the end of his field. At some point, when these hoppers fill up, he'll hook his truck or tractor up and haul them off to the storage plant, silos, or some other distributor.
Seeing that the first field hopper is full, he's using the second. And the beans go flowing from the combine to the hopper.
And from the front. I'm still wondering what the farmer was thinking when he saw someone get out of the car on the side of a dirt road, taking photos...
Once the farmer empties the combine, he goes right back to cutting. Basically, it's a cut, dump, cut cycle, and some of these guys are out there all day.

Most of the soybeans have been gathered as of the weekend. These guys have been going 12-15 hrs days for the last two weeks. Now, they just need to wait a little longer, trade the cutting blades out for corn, then repeat the whole process. The corn just needs a little bit longer to dry and they'll start soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I "noticed the arm" one too many times...

Unknown said...

Well, glad you noticed. I wanted to make sure you saw it!

It's the government way of getting your point across. You tell them what you want to tell them; you tell them what you just told them; then you tell them again to make sure they heard it...