11.21.2008

Lessons Learned

As I mentioned earlier, it was cold last night. It got into the single digits last night around these parts. Some are excited, because the colder it gets, the faster the lake freezes, and the quicker the ice fishing season starts. Great. Not me!

Well, on the way to the post office this morning, I made a rather interesting discovery. Drinks freeze in single digit temperatures. On my previous trip to Cedar Falls last Tuesday, I bought a Mountain Dew. I left it in the cupholder, didn't go anywhere yesterday, and forgot about it last night. This morning, on the way to the post office, I noticed the 'brick' of Dew sitting there...Luckily it didn't explode in the cupholder.
After noticing the Mtn. Dew, I then made the realization that I had a 6pk of waters in the trunk. They've been there for a good while now too...After a few uses, I recycle the bottles, and get new ones out of the car. Well this morning, yep, they were pretty frozen too.

The bulging bottle...guess I got lucky. Of the 6, 4 of them are okay. Two actually busted and cracked the plastic from the neck to the base. Again, luckily it is so cold, they stayed frozen, adhered themselves to the carpet in the trunk, and just needed to be thrown away. The others, well one is a slush with a rather large bulge through the bottle, and the other is just frozen solid. Again, call me lucky.

I'll put these back in my fridge and try to drink them quickly before I head home. Can't take them with me on the flight...
Note to self: When freezing, remove everything from the car. Probably safer that way!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

TRUE STORY: When we lived in Alaska, we used the trunk of our car and a good Army issue laundry bag to store meat and ice cream - the sale was to good to pass up!!! Nothing ever thawed and we had plenty of "freezer" space for a few months.

Good memories, Cynthia

Unknown said...

How cool. It's too cold for me in Alaska though :)