I took the Allez (bike) out for the first long ride to 1.) enjoy the awesome weather, 2.) log some real riding miles, and 3.) start really breaking in the bike. I accomplished all those and more, and this is how it went down...
The temps were pushing mid 50's so I threw on a long sleeve shirt, just to be safe. Apparently, riding is colder than running and being cold is miserable, and we don't want that, now do we?
I figured since it was early Fri, I could take my chances, leave the neighborhood and ride some of the bigger roads that have more traffic. Then I could go to places within the area and explore what I haven't seen before. So, I did a quick loop through the neighborhood logging a quick mile before heading out on the 4 lane highway that drags through town. As I approached the stop sign, it was a 'do or die' feeling - one of those I don't want to, but I don't want to be trapped by the neighborhood feelings, so I turned right and took off.
Another quick mile or so and I turned off the main road heading into another neighborhood with the goal of working through some backroads and very light traffic roads. Off the main road, I was quickly greeted with my first real uphill. Quick flick of the hand on the gears and it's 'click', 'click' as I move down the gears, easing upwards. Nothing to it.
The road quickly flattens out, another 'click' and I'm back into picking up speed when I reach my turn off and then another climb. 'Click', 'click', 'click' and I'm trying to make this one as easy, but it's not happening. My speed drops into the single digits as I push my way up, but that's what it's all about. I tell myself to just think of the downhill and it'll go away... As I reached the top, the road crossed over the interstate taking me into the nearby town. By the way, it's pretty cool riding atop the interstate knowing it's you, the bike, and nothing else.
We level out, I pick my speed back up and start logging miles. Nice, fairly easy rolling hills...the ups are quickly followed by downs and the pavement just starts to look like a blur as my legs really wake up. And that's when I was quickly snatched from my riding groove!
The road isn't the best. It's an old rough asphalt that's definitely seen it's better days. The shoulder is a little cracked and rough, and there are is no lane paint. Because of this, I cheated over toward the middle of the lane a little more than usual, to give a better surface and riding experience. As I geared down, picking up speed, a car came driving by, passing me. Sure, nothing to it...hold the lane....let him go. Easier said than done.
The driver who either doesn't like cyclists or just wanted to be a butt threw a drink can through the passenger window into my line. Swerve and take the chance of wrecking, hit it and take the chance of wrecking, or quickly cross your fingers and take your chances. I took option 3 and was greeted with a can to the leg. Of course it hurt, but what could I do? I surely couldn't run him down, and if I did his car is a bit bigger than my bicycle.
After a few minutes of recovering, trying to maintain speed, I returned to my groove and watched the miles roll by. The route I picked was good; it kept the rolling hills, led me through some pasture land that I didn't know existed and had pretty low traffic. The only thing that could've been better were the roads and a little less "boondock" feel.
I approached the halfway point, which was a small community church, and began my ride back. As I rode back I realized that those short downhills on the way out felt like extremely long uphills on the way back. I just kept trying to make myself look forward to the downhills.
I figured I would try to see just how fast I could hit on some of these downhills, just because everyone wants to go fast and it seemed logical at the time, so I shifted up the gears, got into my speed zone and let it go on the last downhill. I went screaming through, looked at the speed and watched the numbers go up, 19...24...31...32mph. When cruising at 32mph, I made the quick realization of just how small my tires were, just how fast the ground was moving, and I definitely didn't confuse which brake lever was the back tire! What a rush...new speed record - for now.
The way back seemed much slower than the way out; guess that means I need some more practice. Last small hill before the home stretch. Coming close to the top of the hill, I hear a noise in the woods off to the right. Being the new guy that I am, I couldn't quite take my eyes off the road and follow the sounds, but it was beside me and it wasn't leaving. I kept pedaling...faster. Suddenly, as though it was planned, out jumped a deer. A doe to be precise. She lept from the woods, right behind the bike, and proceeded to race me to the top. I wasn't sure what to do. Before I knew what to do, she darted left across the road and was gone. Now, I know why most cycling shorts are dark colored.
By this point, I had had enough excitement for this one ride, so I was in quite the hurry to get back toward town into civilization and off the smaller roads. Just a few more miles. As those miles rolled away, I cut through yet another neighborhood and started having bike issues. The front gear wouldn't shift. If it would shift, it wouldn't stay. If it stayed, it wouldn't stay long. My speed gear was gone and I was on a flat where I needed it. Guess that'll have to get looked at.
Then it dawned on me, if I broke down, what would I do? Who would I call? It was 3pm and most everyone I knew was at work. Guess it'd be a long walk home...
Finally, I rounded the corner, pulled up to the 4lane highway again and saw the entrance to MY neighborhood less than .25mi away. Easy enough.
As I pulled into the driveway, I looked down to see that I had completed right at 12mi in 45mins time. The good part--I finished. The best part--I finished before the rain...
No comments:
Post a Comment