12.30.2009

oh the perils

Almost everyone I talk to about running can come up with a good reason not to run. They either have an excuse about how they think it's boring, or you can get hurt. There's quite a list of reasons NOT to run really. I've heard these quite a bit lately...
-You could get chased by a dog
-You could turn an ankle
-You could get lost
-What about the aches & pains
-Doesn't it tear up your knees
-Shoes are expensive
-It's too hot/cold/dark/bright/early/late/etc.

Yea, there's many. But, lately, nobody has mentioned about the toes. The little toes to be exact. Now, I'd like to take the time to tell you a little about the toes...

I finished the long run last Saturday and felt great. Nothing ached. Nothing was sore. I  felt good. It was when I took my shoes off, I noticed a small problem. One of my toenails was a light shade of purple. Not gross mind you, just purple. It didn't hurt, so I didn't worry about it.

I ran again yesterday. First run since I noticed the new toenail. Well, again, after the run, it was a little more purple. Except now, it's taken over my whole toenail.

Somehow, from the beating I've laid on my feet, my one toenail is revolting.

I guess the good thing is that it still doesn't hurt, which means I can just keep ignoring it. And we all know what that means right? I can keep on running...

By the way, I'm 10 days out from the first race of 2010! See you at the finish line folks..

No comments: