6.26.2008

decision's made

Ok, thanks for those who were concerned, praying, and doing what you did. The decision has been made and all is well...for now.

I received a possible assignment to move to Iowa for 3-4months w/ the possibility of an extension to 6mo. to do some field work through a joint venture with my company and FEMA. The pay is good. The experience is downright great. The thought of being gone and only coming home once a month is bad. The possibility of being accepted is real tough. (Rookies don't get to go very often, so when the situation comes up, it's one of those things you can't pass up.) The timing is usually about 2 weeks notice so plans have to be shifted/cancelled if selected.

Basically I've been in talks with the director over most of the week and we found out that they want roughly 300 people there and quickly; as in by July 7th. The problem arose when I told her I was willing to go, but was being held back by a trip from July 5th through July 9th. Those two days were going to interfere with my chances of going. This meant that I had to decide whether or not I'd give up a trip w/ Bethany and her family or go away for several months. The decision was made on my part to put my personal plans on hold and change them, if it would help with my selection.

Come to find out, the directors were looking for someone who had civil experience in another discipline than I have, which meant I was placed on standby instead of being sent. Kind of a bummer, but then I still get to go on my trip.

I'm still in the bucket to go. We just don't know when, where, or if it'll materialize any more, or anything. Now, I just carry on as usual, go about my daily routine, and wait...

No comments: