4.18.2010

my wife is awesome

Since I had a test upcoming and really no social life, Bethany waited until afterwards to celebrate my birthday, which was fine by me.

So Saturday, my family came up, her family came up, and we thoroughly celebrated. Well worth it! It started out with an early morning ride (35mi) out at Oak Mountain, then followed up with a fairly easy 2.7mi run. Nothing too bad, nothing too pressing. So far so good.

Then Bethany and her mom cooked breakfast (sausage, eggs, biscuits, juice, & coffee) for a late brunch. Again, it was good and very enjoyable.

Finally, Bethany took control and told me to start with my Birthday celebration. So, we did. She set up a bit of a "scavenger hunt" for my birthday. It went a little something like this:

Clue 1 - We went out to the back shed where I found a bike horn...
Clue 2 - Off through the house to the shower, where I found a new set of sandals to wear (mine were pretty ragged)
Clue 3 - To the grill for the next clue
Clue 4 - Back inside to the dryer, where I found a new shirt
Clue 5 - Outside, to the Jeep where I found a box in the driver seat
Clue 6 - We had to jump in the Jeep where I was directed to go. I was given a small gift which was a bike chain.
Clue 7 - Back at home where I was directed to the mailbox, where I found a set of handlebar streamers
Clue 8 - Upstairs to the nursery where I found another little box...
(It reads: "Trisherpa - Triathlon Support Crew")
(It reads "Tri Daddy Tri")
Clue 9 - to the kitchen, to the oven, where I found a bike pedal
Clue 10 - in the living room, I found a new racing suit.
Clue 11 - Out to the garage, where I opened the door and found...
(I was told to fix it up and give it a spin)
(And then send it off to a better home at Goodwill)
Clue 12 - At the Goodwill location, I got the last clue, to come on back home
Clue 13 - Brought me home and out the back door, and what did I see...
A new bike, just for me...

So, yea, my wife's pretty awesome... She talked with the guys at the bike shop and got the bike that I had been looking at, fixed it up, talked to the neighbors to hide it, and managed to pull it all over me. Not a bad way to celebrate a birthday. :)

And, that afternoon, we celebrated even more by having a "shrimp boil" in the yard followed by blueberry cobbler, ice cream and cookie cake! 

Oh, and we even celebrated my mother's birthday too (just a couple days before mine)
A great weekend (day) in deed!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I had a lot of fun celebrating your birthday this weekend!! My favorite is the tri Daddy tri outfit! I had a lot of fun at your house and glad you got your bike! that was so sweet of Bethany! She is always so creative also! Glad i came to your house! see you next weekend!

love ya
~lk